Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Slow and Steady...

I've been slacking on my writing, and I've been slacking on my running too. I haven't even gotten a race in this month! Between trying to move, schedual an emergency trip to Eurpoe and dealing with general pregnancy fatigue and quisiness, I've not been up to the task of training well for the past two weeks. I even took a whole week off - which, when you are pregnant, can feel like a month or more hiatus.

I forced myself back into gear this week by running every other day, and trying to tell myself that moving boxes would count as "cross training" on my off days. Becuase I had taken a full seven days off, I had to start out easy. I couldn't just set out and run my typical 5-7 miles, so I cut it down to about 3. But I made those three miles count. To do this, I headed for the hills.

Hill work is great when you are pregnant. Going up, even if you have to slow down or walk, is great for your legs, butt, and abs. And going down (as long as you don't let your belly lead the way!) is great for your posture. I do suggest going down hill very easy...it is okay to walk when dealing with hills. Do becareful on the hills. Stop when you have to, watch your form (a belly is no excuse for starting bad habits), stay in control, and don't over do it. Contractions during hill work can be normal, but if they become painful, stop immediatly.

If you have to take some time off from running, you don't have to stop completely just because you are pregnant! But do ease yourself back into it once you do start again, even if that time off was just a week or so. There are great changes happening to your body every day, so even just a couple of days will do a lot to you...slow and steady and keep moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment